- Party searches for troll raiders’ base
- Find Munguk the Drunk Giant, hilarity ensues
- After bribing Munguk with copious amounts of alcohol (really good thing you built a brewery in Hammerzeit!!!), he leads you to Hargulka’s lair
- Several hexes are traveled through but not mapped
- Many trolls and chaos warriors are slain
- Fillmore Starflower is killed in battle by Chaos Warriors
- Hargulka, the leader of the troll-raiders, is slain
- Now leader-less, hopefully the remaining raiders withdraw
- Munguk the Drunken Giant is left to his own devices south of Candlemere Lake, at least until suitable shelter and a supply line can be established
- Several hexes are mapped
- The ruined temple of Erastil is still in need of extensive repair, but Jhod has turned it into a popular holy site frequented by hunters/trappers from Hammerzeit, Olegton, and Tatzlford. Jhod has recovered his confidence.
- The Nedyalko Timber Company has taken the hex sold by the party and turned it into a significant fortified company town with a winter population of around 150, and has effectively claimed an adjacent hex containing an old nobleman’s hunting lodge and a sacred statue to Erastil.
- The frog-man creature in the hex between Tatzlford and the Temple of Erastil continues to croak his independence and seems to merely wish to be left alone. The language barrier makes communication difficult.
- Bjorn seeks the advice of the Fey, Melianse and Tiressia, on how to remove his impotence curse. One suggests that he kidnap a human baby and leave it beneath the Sycamore Sapling on the next waxing moon. There, the fey will trade him a faerie child to be raised as a human and the curse will be lifted. Bjorn demurs – he can’t bring himself to do it.
- Party explores an hex along the Candlemere. Nasty run-in with some survivors from Hargulka’s warband – three trolls and three cannon ogres.
- Party returns to Hammerzeit to resupply, then ventures back south to explore.
- The Revenge of Tartuk? Kobold warparties arrive and begin raiding Hammerzeit.
- Jhod Kavken and Brazzo Forstrop lead the defense of the kingdom in the absence of the PCs, raising militias from the woodsmen and Forstrops.
- Both are successful in defeating the raiders in several skirmishes, and their prestige increases significantly.
- Meanwhile, the party arrives at the Lizardman village along the Candlemere.
(Notes by Matt)
- The party, consisting of Josephine, Verbot, Elronnie and Bjorn Jovi explored the hex known to contain “Organized Lizard-men”.
- We sighted two of these creatures, who hissed at us, and understood no decent speech.
- They carried fish taken from our lake, a casus belli of legal and moral precedent. (Ed: Also, there was a murdered and gutted woodsman of Hammerzeit strung up as a warning)
- Traveling in two flimsy canoes we were ambushed by a Lizard man and his two crocodiles.
- The party tried to fight from canoe, but we all ended up in the water and at some disadvantage.
- The crocodiles put up no real fight and the lizard man, while skillful with his spear, also went down easy.
- After some discussion we decided lizard men corpses are no pleasure to molest, but we did take his soda and ramen which horrified Bart.
- The party decided to map the whole hex, and if this meant we had to sack the main lizard-man town; we should not shrink from it.
- Our approach was blocked by a lizard-shaman and his guard, but we cut them down.
- By now Verbot was diseased, after a poke by a disgusting lizard spear, and Bjorn Jovi and Elronnie were short of wind, so we dismembered a lizard-man family so as to rest in their stilt house before assaulting the main palisade.
(Notes by Bart)
- The lizardmen are led by a chieftain in a well-defended wooden fort. There is also a ghostly floating lizardman skull demanding the party be captured and offered as sacrifices to their ancestors.
- Bjorn Jovi recovers an explorer’s map that can be used to explore a hex without needing to travel there.
(Notes by Matt)
The party (Verbot, Bjorn, Josephine, Elronnie and Roger Ales) started right at the gates of the lizard-man village. Inside were lizard-men, lizards (dog sized) and a flaming skull which we assume is the organizing force. Verbot was appointed leader and advocated smashing through the gates. Other party members wanted to climb the back wall or something else more surprising, but since the gates looked weak we attacked the hinges and fastener and knocked our way in in one round.
While the main group forced their way into the gate, Bjorn climbed the palisade and pinned the lizardmen on the rampart, then fought from a height advantage. A Lizard-man beastmaster ordered his lizards to attack us and yanked Verbot’s flail out of his hands with a whip, while a lizard champion hurled thick javelins from above. Roger Ales broke from the party to attack the tower, but was forced to return to the ground when the dangers of splitting off became obvious. Elronnie got dropped and three lizard men champions arrived at the gate from the outside (1 on power die). Verbot revived Elronnie and stepped out to pin all three lizard champions and got chopped from all sides. He would have dropped but his zeal for Sigmar sustained him. Schooled, he stepped back in the gate, drank a major healing potion, and we cleared the brush, lizards, beast-master and champions. Once we owned the ground we turned to the tower. The flaming skull had fled, apparently in fear of Sigmarites. (We may see more of this guy?) The javelin throwing champion turned out to be a very deadly fighter, nearly skewering Verbot in the door to the tower, but Bjorn, Ales and Elronnie stormed the tower and surrounded on all sides he died like a lizard.
In dividing the spoils we found the magic axe wielded by the tower champion had a magic rod for a handle, usable by Elronnie. And there was a (talisman?) that allowed a character to escape deadly traps, which Verbot assigned to Josephine. (Roger Ales was in most need of treasure for advancement, so Verbot offers him a magic spear in compensation, assuming this is legal.) The lizard man settlement defeated, if not depopulated, the party turned back to Hammerzeit, battling a pair of large spiders on the way.
Back in Hammerzeit an Owlbear had destroyed all the major buildings; Alehouse, Armory, Fletcher and General Store. We had to choose between chasing the Owlbear and staying to rebuild two of the four destroyed buildings. We decided to stay, as getting the buildings in the first place had taken years, we can always hunt the Owlbear when we are refitted. The monster itself is of a size with Crackjaw, the Wyvren and Monguk, and is therefore very dangerous. All our Kingdom efforts this season were spent mitigating damage, so no progress was made on fishing or anything else.
Bjorn Leveled up to four, and Elronnie to three, wasting most of his money on silly things the way elves are known to do. We made a trip to purchase healing, but Verbot has not been to a temple or the Alehouse yet, not sure about the others.